Geometric Yellow Shapes

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why do I love Mermaids?

I have loved mermaids for as long as I can remember. But the other day, as I felt completely enthralled and brimming with childhood adoration as we rode The Little Mermaid ride at Disneyland, I wondered when it all started. So I began reaching back into my memories.

Pacific Sea-Maid by Tony DiTerlizzi
  • I believe it may have all started with The Little Mermaid, which came out the year I was born, so I was raised on this Disney film. However, they had it come out in theaters a second time in November of 1997 when I was 8 and I remember watching this in theaters and being completely in awe of it, especially seeing it large scale.
  • Around this same time my Dad lived on Lido Island right on the beach. It was wonderful to walk out of his little pad and take a few footsteps before feeling the sand between my toes (a wonderful feeling to grow up with). Living so close to the home of the creatures I fully believed in and idolized let my imagination run wild!
  • Next door to my dad lived Pam. She had a huge crush on my dad and I think that was in part why she always let me come over. Her one bedroom apartment was a shrine to my mermaid friends. It was covered with shells, whimsical art adorned her walls, and every book had something to do with the sea maidens. She even looked like a mermaid, long blonde hair and blue eyes. She also had a costume she wore every Halloween complete with sea shell bras & a fish tail. I remember the day she let me try it on. I about died of happiness.
Media that made me fall deeper in love with Mermaids (click on the titles for clips from the films):
  1. The Little Mermaid (1989) Movie
  2. Splash (1984) Movie
  3. Mr. Peabody & the Mermaid (1948) Movie
  4. Neptunes Daughter (1914) Movie
  5. The Secret of Roan Innish (1994) Movie - technically about selkies, close cousins to the mermaids
So share on your blog, facebook pages, or maybe just your journal what your favorite childhood passions. Not just fanciful creatures, but hobbies, dreams, etc. Or leave a comment! I'd love to hear about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment